Monday, November 19, 2007

Even I'm too young to REALLY remember Joy Division


The Ian Curtis biopic CONTROL, brought to us by Anton Corbijn, who is best known for his rock photography and music videos, seemed to be a series of photos and music videos more than the story that I wanted. Although the acting was a good as they critics are saying it was, the blatant foreshadowing was a little too much, and I don't know that we got to care enough about the characters. Sam Riley's performance though, was physically convincing, and made me feel sad about how much we expect from our touring musicians. The fact that all of this took place when this kid was, well, a kid makes me skeptical. Where was the back story? What happened in his past that made him so depressed. Why don't we see more of his family? Maybe it's all a big mystery, and was even to his wife, from whose book this story came. I suggest waiting for the video. But I could be wrong.

No comments: