Thursday, February 14, 2008

soak them in ice water for 10 minutes a day


We all know I average about a two-week delay on my movie reviews lately.

So, a couple weeks ago, I saw Persepolis. I had been eagerly anticipating its release for months since I read the books last fall. I was a huge fan of Marjane Satrapi's graphic novels, and I was excited about the story. But I was a little dubious that her simple drawings could translate into a feature-length film.

I was wrong. Her collaboration with the animators was brilliant, and added depth and character to the images. Speaking of character though, I did feel the film fell a little short in developing the characters from the books. But, that might just speak to my imagination as I read them.

I know that people have to make choices when adapting books to screenplays, and I wonder how they decide. Because one part that stood out as conspicuously missing from the film, was the friendship with the roommate in Vienna.

Anyway, it was a great story, a memoir of a different sort about family, identity, and home. I'm glad to see such a non-traditional film (cartoon for adults that is not from Japan) in so many theaters. And it's not as out there as The Triplets of Belleville.

No comments: