Monday, January 28, 2008

And there was...

So I'm running a few weeks behind on my movie reviews. I caught an early Sunday matinee of P.T. Anderson's latest film, There Will Be Blood earlier this month. Although I often shy away from "historical epics" I am nonetheless always in pursuit of Paul Thomas Anderson, and Daniel Day Lewis. Neither of them disappointed with this film. Lewis was outstanding, even if he looked like Tom Selleck at times. Really one of the finest acting jobs I've seen in years. And there were some breathtaking shots, and the opening scenes, with their almost absent dialogue really drew me in.

I'll stop short of saying I loved it though, and it's because like Mr. A's other films (Magnolia being the exception) there was a point about 3/5 in, where I started to wonder if it was going to be too long... started to wonder if the movie was starting to take a turn for the bad and boring. This happened in Hard 8 and in Boogie Nights, and so I suppose I recognized the Anderson Fatigue for what it was, and accepted it. In the end, I found myself laughing at the absurdity of the story, and wondering how I got there, but all in all, it was a darn good flick.

I'm pretty behind on seeing movies too, and I know I have a lot of catching up to do. My goals this weekend are to see do my taxes, write my belated xmas thank-yous, and see Persepolis. Small goals, I know, and acheivable, but I have a way of letting the time slip by these days. Check with me on Monday.

1 comment:

The E Factor said...

I now know the Persepolis that you speak of...I actually have the book at home waiting for my perusal, but did not connect it while you were out here. Wonder if it is still at that theatre?