Sunday, March 30, 2008

Home Electronics Flashback

Several times in recent years, when chatting with friends or colleagues about techonologies of the past, such as the VHS cassette, I have said something about what we just called "discs" when I was little.

Ineveitably, each time, someone has said, "Oh yeah, LaserDiscs..." and I have had to try to explain, no, not those. Just video discs. And for some reason, nobody I talk to about this seems to remember the things. In fact, some people seem to think it doesn't exist.

So anyway, I thought I'd consult my friend the Worldwide Web, for some proof. Here is a link to the Wiki article on CED discs, and a little demo on how it works. See, I wasn't making it up after all.

3 comments:

Rufus said...

Yes, but is the wikipedia article entirely accurate? (pause for groan)

So I guess you must have been the coolest kid on your block back in 4th grade when you could watch the widescreen version of Amarcord any time you wanted. And fast forward to your favorite scenes at 16x normal speeds.

Nobo said...

No, we didn't actually HAVE one of these, and I've never seen Amarcord. Guess I'm not a big Fellini Fan. One of my friends did. We didn't have a VCR though, but sometimes we would rent one or the other for a weekend.

The E Factor said...

They don't make them like they used to. I know we did not have one of these fangled things, but I keep remembering the massiveness and heft of our VCR and how I believe it could probably still run and work fine today. :)