Friday, December 26, 2008

2 Aug 2008 - Lollapalooza (De Novo Dahl, The Postelles, Mason Jennings, Devotchka, Okkervil River)




De Novo Dahl

A prefect start to a nice sunny day - this band greeted the morning in bright orange and yellow rompers, which stood out nicely against the walls of the band shell. I'd never heard of them before, save for one song that I'd downloaded from the Lollapalooza site, but they kept me occupied and glad I'd gotten up early and made it downtown.

The Postelles

Next up was another group of fresh young faces. The crowd wasn't too big - they had a solid performance, and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves. I kept listening to their catchy little pop songs for several weeks after the show.




Mason Jennings

I've seen Mason several times since I first "discovered" him 9 long years ago. It's been interesting seeing his style, lyrics, fan base and band members change. I enjoyed Robert Skoro as his bass player for a few years, but since then haven't noticed anyone of consequence in his band. That sort of hints to me that he might be a pain to work with, but what do I know? He has a woman playing bass now, and that's cool in my book.




Devotchka
This is a band that has come a long way since I first saw them as a random opening act when I was living in Denver back in 2000. They were fun, and I'm glad that a band with sousaphone, accordion and theremin can get invited to play such large venues. ah, the power of indie film, because I don't know that they'd have had so much exposure without Little Miss Sunshine and the like.





Okkervil River

And finally, I worked my way to the front for Okkervil River. I'd seen them once before, but being right against the rail was much more exciting than being in the balcony at the Riv. The whole band has such a great energy, and seemed to really be enjoying the day, (except for the lone female, sort of absently playing guitar off to the side.) I had fun playing with my new camera while they performed. "The President's Dead," and "For Real" were standouts, but "Westfall" blew my mind.



No comments: