Friday, February 6, 2009

Nobo vs. the Dudes - The Hold Steady w/ Tom Morello @ HOB - 15 Jan 2009

So, my first show of 2009, and I found myself one of about 100 women in the entire sold out House of Blues. Showing up fashionably late with a friend, I thought I might have missed a good chunk of The Nightwatchman's set. But, in true rock and roll style, it had started quite late, and by leading with our breasts we were able to push through the crowd of testosterone to secure a nice vantage point along the railing, stage right.

Not knowing much of Morello's music, I was a little lost, but it was still a great set, all of his self-comparisons to Barak Obama aside. He played acoustic and electric. He played guitar with his teeth. He covered AC/DC and he covered Woody Guthrie, and had everyone singing along to This Land is Your Land.

The Hold Steady. Now that was a wild ride. Akin to the mountain goats in the telling of tales of drug and alcohol soaked nights, their songs are never about people with whom I can really identify. On of the things that sets Craig Finn apart from, say, John Darnielle, is that somehow you believe that his characters might actually survive. There's a little more hope in his stories. That said though, a lot the Hold Steady's songs sound a lot like one another, and it's sometimes hard for me to tell one from the other. It was a top-notch live show though, and I enjoyed raising my fist and wailing along with their stadium-rock choruses as much as the next guy. And the next guy, and the next. And those few ladies, who were mostly leaning against dudes looking bored.

I have a theory about why The Hold Steady is a man's band. I think women tend to like men with beautiful voices. How many women do you see swooning over Tom Waits? Finn's vocals are very conversational - staying a short range with not a lot of variation in melody.

So, I'm back to blogging? Perhaps. Time to go to work now, but maybe this weekend, I can write chapter two of January, which ended with Heartless Bastards. I've got at least five more shows lined up in the next couple of months - so, the momentum should keep me going.

1 comment:

Curtis said...

Nobo- good post! I saw the Hold Steady a year or so ago and I thought they put on a kickass show! Finn's style isn't for everyone...and the guy spits (while singing) more than anyone i've ever seen. But the show was high energy, fun as hell and there was great banter between songs.