Thursday, April 9, 2009

A.C. Newman @ Logan Square Auditorium - 25 March 2009

I hadn't been to the LSA since a post-Thanksgiving Andrew Bird show in 2006. They've spruced up a bit. It even smelled like paint, and reminds me a bit of Turner Hall in Galena.

Hanging out at Dunlay's with my friends caused us to miss the Broken West, but that's okay. I've listened to them a bit, but nothing's every really stuck.

I was so happy with this show. I'd been looking forward to it for quite some time. I discovered Newman's first solo album a little over a year ago probably, and knew it was probably time for a new one soon. So when I hear about Get Guilty's impending release, and Neko Case's new album, I put two and two together and correctly predicted that they'd both be doing solo tours this spring.

When you have two albums of short-ish pop songs, it's pretty definite that you'll play almost all of your songs at a show, and they did. Since it was a solo tour, I was a little apprehensive, thinking they might be bare-bones, so I was pleasantly surprised by the huge band, including violin and and ultra-peppy guitarist. They delivered almost exactly what's on the albums.

The icing on the Carl Newman cake was the array of limited edition silkscreened posters for sale. They were only $10 each, but I held back... didn't buy the submarine one, or the gun, or any of the others leftover from the pevious stops on the tour. I just bought the Chicago bridge poster. And it's still rolled up on the dining room table, waiting for me to get my shit together and frame some stuff already.

No comments: