Thursday, April 9, 2009

Shiny Happy Swedes - Loney Dear w/ Anni Rossi @ Schubas - 1 March 2009

I love Schubas. And I love going to shows with my friend Joe. But even both of those combined didn't really put me in the mood for this Sunday night. What can I say? This has been a rough winter.

Anyway, when this Anni Rossi got on stage, I thought, oh great, who is this Andrew Bird wannabe with a damn viola? But, she was actually pretty intriguing. It's been 6 weeks now, so I don't remember exactly why, but I'd go see her again.

And Loney, Dear.... well they were just fun. I love the awkwardness of Swedish pop, and I really enjoyed the banter in between songs. It was nice to see them play these songs on actual instruments, when the recordings sound a little more digital. I did not get to hear "I am John" which is the song that drew me to them in the first place, but I heard all my other favorites.

It was a short set, but, as Emil Svanängen himself said before the encore, "after all, it is Saturday, and tomorrow you have to go to your works." So, maybe he gets his days mixed up, but he's adorable, and I had a big smile on my face when I left.

No comments: