Thursday, April 9, 2009

Getting too old for this...Blitzen Trapper with Alela Diane @ the Empty Bottle - 19 Feb 2009

Detours to Enoteca Roma and the California Clipper made us a little late for the opening act, Alela Diane. Reminiscent of Stevie Nicks and or young Emmylou, she was a nice little surprise when we did catch the last half of her set. On the other hand, the main thing I learned from that night is that I need to draw the line when it comes to bands I don't know well who are playing 10:00 shows on weeknights. I liked Blitzen Trapper based on two songs: The older Pink Padded Slippers and the newer Furr. However, the bulk of their southern frat rock was not my cup of tea. And they didn't play the former, anyway.

It was fun watching the frat-cult following, and the random dude in the bear hat really getting into the show, but it definitely sunk quickly to the bottom of my list of rock shows for the 2000's.

The evening's highlights included: California Clipper, Playboy Pinball machine at the Empty Bottle, and "Every Path" by Alela Diane.

No comments: