Saturday, October 6, 2007

I love Rock and Roll (Voxtrot,The Little Ones and too much beer at the Metro - 10/4/2007)

I may have been the only one to buy advance tickets for Voxtrot when the went on sale back IN JULY. Okay, so maybe that was a little premature. Especially considering that the afternoon of the show, the Metro was sending out free tickets via email. But I was still glad to have the comfort of those three paper tickets in my back pocket as we walked down Clark Thursday evening.

We arrived at a perfect time. We had missed the Sleeping States, but we knew we would. the Metro was still pretty empty. So we got some beers and took our places leaning on the railing in the balcony (my new favorite Metro vantage point.) Maybe I was just reeling from having served up a perfect little dinner and taking a walk with friends in the "unseasonably warm" night air. Or maybe it was the wine. But I was so happy, and When The Little Ones came on, you couldn't take the grin off my face.

I've been listening to the same five tracks of theirs that I have on my computer for the last 10 months, but never had the chance to see them. They are great performers. I forgive them their tiny jeans (and unlike my friend David-not-Pitz, I really didn't have a problem with the bass player's red pants)because their vocals sounded great, and the were so bouncy and happy. I've never seen a rock band smile so much. They effortlessy switched instruments, transitioned to tambourines, handclaps and shouting, and still managed to sound crisp. I was stamping my feet and smiling along with them.

Fast forward to Voxtrot. Someone kept handing me beers, and we were joined by some acquaintances of one my friends, and I got distracted, and a little too drunk to give this band as much attention as I wanted. I know they were also a lot of fun to watch, and I like the synergy between Ramesh Srivastava and Jason Chronis. I'm going to keep an eye on the calendars though, because I'd like to catch them again, that time while drinking coffee so I can concentrate more on the sound.

(I'm leaving out the part about the afterparty in the balcony, where I gushed and babbled to Ed Reyes about how great their set was; spilled free beer on Joe and David, and somehow walked away with an LE Mile 44 poster, with some indecipherable voxtrot autographs on it. It's better that way)

No comments: