Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Khaela Maricich is a (hot) spaz (The Blow @ The Empty Bottle, 10/1/2007)


I think it's the Empty Bottle's M.O. to start shows like 45 minutes after the published time. Which is why we found ourselves suffering through one interesting/okay opening act (high places) and one maybe they're good, but I can't stand the sound act (videohippos) at 10....10:30..... 11:00....last night. And all this on a Monday night.

I'm 32 for cryin' out loud, and maybe if I wore a hipster bandana around my neck, I would have the superhero stamina to withstand this sort of thing, but, when it was 11:10, and no sign of the headliner, I was about to pack it in.

So glad I didn't. The Blow is nerdslut pop at its finest. It was so much fun watching her bounce around the stage, sometimes miming, sometimes singing to her imaginary partner. And the best part of it is that she's just this normal-looking dork with a pretty voice and a knack for intelligent lyrics. I even caught her holding hands with some chick and looking pained as she shoved bits of paper towel in her ears during videohippos set.

Apparently, this tour is the last time she'll be performing the songs from Paper Television, so catch her if you can.

No comments: